The Department of Mechanical Engineering was established officially, accrording to the Law of 1418, on February 21, 1976 as a second department of Isparta State Engineering and Architecture Academy and began teaching in fall 1976 in a 3-storey building of Gulkent Middle School in the city of Isparta at the Mediterranean Region of Turkey.
Isparta State Engineering and Architecture Academy joined to Akdeniz University in the city of Antalya on July 20, 1982 according to the law of 2547 and its name changed to Isparta Faculty of Engineering.
With the establishment of Süleyman Demirel University in the city of Isparta on July 11, 1992, Isparta Faculty of Engineering was linked to Suleyman Demirel University under the name of Faculty of Engineering and Architecture.
Currently, the Department of Mechanical Engineering is located on the main campus (west) of Suleyman Demirel University, which is placed on the foot of the hill outside Isparta and has 10 professor, 4 associate professor, 9 assistant professor, 8 research assistant, 5 personnel (3 technicians and 2 clerical staff), and more than 1000 undergraduate students.
MSc and PhD programs are also available for gradute studies in the department.